Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An apple a day....

I have been dying for a Mac laptop or desktop for quite some time now and had actually decided that I would wait a while to buy one since we just had the "laptop disaster of October 2007" and had to replace my old HP laptop with a new and improved HP laptop. Well....David really thinks I need a Mac for all of my design work especially since I have been getting so busy these days and who am I to argue his genius reasoning, right?!?!?! So, I plan on purchasing a brand new Mac here in the next couple of months and was wanting some help in narrowing down my selection.

First off, laptop or desktop??? I really can't decide because there are reasons why I would prefer both. I am leaning towards desktop because we already have a laptop and I really LOVE the way the Mac desktops look. Plus, whenever we eventually move and I have a "real" office I think I would prefer to have a desktop setup with whatever fabulous desk and office furniture pieces I will have for my dream office. :) Although, I also like the portability factor of a laptop, but I cannot imagine that I would actually need to take it out of my office very often. In instances where I do need a laptop I could always use the trusty HP instead.

Secondly, what screen size and capabilities do I need??? Not sure, but I
am in LOVE with the mama-jamma enormous 24" monitor, but David thinks it is just too much. Is it ever too much??? I need a lot of screen space for working on design projects and I think the 24" would be perfect....or maybe it is too gigantic, I don't know, I just cannot decide!

That's why I need some opinions.
Right now, I am leaning towards the Mac desktop with a 20" screen so that it is quite a bit larger than what I currently have with my HP laptop, but not insanely huge (as David would put it) as the 24". I *think* the laptop is going to just be too small for me as the largest screen size they offer is 17". In any case, that is where I need help and I'm counting on you Mac owners for some good advice!!!



Image

  • 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 2GB memory
  • 250GB hard drive1
  • Double-layer SuperDrive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB



Image

  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1GB memory
  • 320GB hard drive1
  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
OR

Image

  • 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
  • 2GB memory
  • 500GB hard drive1
  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

Image

  • 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1GB memory
  • 250GB hard drive1
  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive
  • ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

Image

  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1GB memory
  • 320GB hard drive1
  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

3 comments:

April said...

you're so funny- you sound like Gavin! He has a 30" monitor for his mac. He thinks you can never have a big enough mac or have enough mac stuff! I was always a pro- PC kinda girl, but once you go MAC you never go back!! LOL I have Gavin's old desk top (i think its a 24" monitor) in the kitchen at the desk, but honestly i rarely use it anymore. I have the basic laptop and LOVE it, it goes to work with me and has all my work files on it. I must say I'm a total mac nerd now with the computers, the iphone and even the .mac account! LOL I say start your dream office and get the computer you think will fit :-)

La Bonne Vie - The House of Brodt said...

hehe! I know....I cannot wait to "go MAC!" I am a little afraid that it will be a pita to learn a new operating system though....

April said...

no i don't think so at all! i think Macs are so user friendly and dont have do deal with all the PC crap. I dont miss pc AT ALL! the simpler it is for me- the better! :-D